[OSM-dev] osm on rails

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Jul 20 11:01:38 BST 2006

I've been doing a fair amount of rails stuff lately and it looks like
moving OSM to rails would solve many problems. And it'd be done quite
quickly.

With rails, hacking on the server at home would be much easier as it
runs on anything and is much simpler to hack on than setting up apache
etc. The unicode stuff becomes easier. Certain bits will be sped up and
it'll become much easier to add features that I want to. The big apache
rewrite directives won't be needed and the code becomes somewhat easier
to read and maintain. I've hacked a bit on it and given that OSM is
already in ruby it's going quickly.

Any thoughts?

have fun,