[OSM-dev] osm on rails

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 11:27:24 BST 2006

On 20/07/06, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> I've been doing a fair amount of rails stuff lately and it looks like
> moving OSM to rails would solve many problems. And it'd be done quite
> quickly.
>
> With rails, hacking on the server at home would be much easier as it
> runs on anything and is much simpler to hack on than setting up apache
> etc. The unicode stuff becomes easier. Certain bits will be sped up and
> it'll become much easier to add features that I want to. The big apache
> rewrite directives won't be needed and the code becomes somewhat easier
> to read and maintain. I've hacked a bit on it and given that OSM is
> already in ruby it's going quickly.
>
> Any thoughts?

Would it solve the current dev server problems?  Would it be easier to
deploy an OSM server at home for testing?

Would it *really* solve the Unicode problems?

And will you comment it properly and write up why the tables are how
they are (and why the naive implementation of queries etc aren't good
enough), to avoid the same problems as we currently have now?

T.