[OSM-dev] proposal to kill areas

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 17:57:00 BST 2006

I'm not sure that the constraint that the start and end should be the same
node is either necessary or always appropriate.

Consider that you are mapping just one side of a large lake.  The need to
join up the two loose ends creates an artifact in the database that is not
true.  They will eventually join up but you may not be able to complete the
task all in one session.

Additionally, when serving up content within a bbox there may well be areas
that are only partially within the bbox.  Incidentally, Osmarender/SVG seems
to cope with this situation quite well (not sure whether this is by accident
or design).

Etienne