[OSM-dev] proposal to kill areas

Nigel Magnay nigel.magnay at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 19:52:49 BST 2006

On 20/07/06, Etienne <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure that the constraint that the start and end should be the same
> node is either necessary or always appropriate.
>
> Consider that you are mapping just one side of a large lake.  The need to
> join up the two loose ends creates an artifact in the database that is not
> true.  They will eventually join up but you may not be able to complete the
> task all in one session.

Wouldn't you just keep those as segments until you had mapped the
area, and then create the way (area) at that point? Or create a way
for 'lake edge', and gradually expand it until it was an area?

> Additionally, when serving up content within a bbox there may well be areas
> that are only partially within the bbox.  Incidentally, Osmarender/SVG seems
> to cope with this situation quite well (not sure whether this is by accident
> or design).

Actually, it's worse than that; for a given bbox area there may be
areas whose segments don't even intersect the bbox, but should be
displayed rendered (for example, displaying a section of map that's
inside a large forest area).