[OSM-dev] proposal to kill areas

Nigel Magnay nigel.magnay at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 20:19:08 BST 2006

On 20/07/06, Etienne <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/20/06, Nigel Magnay <nigel.magnay at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> It may never happen if part of the lake shore was in a restricted area.
> That shouldn't have to prevent describing the rest of it.

That seems a bit of a breakdown case to me. In order to be useful, I
think you would create 2 areas "definitely lake" and "probably lake".
After all, you want the end result to be some blue-filled polygon, no?

> > > Additionally, when serving up content within a bbox there may well be
> areas
> > > that are only partially within the bbox.  Incidentally, Osmarender/SVG
> seems
> > > to cope with this situation quite well (not sure whether this is by
> accident
> > > or design).
> > >

> > Actually, it's worse than that; for a given bbox area there may be
> > areas whose segments don't even intersect the bbox, but should be
> > displayed rendered (for example, displaying a section of map that's
> > inside a large forest area).
>

> In that case I guess you wouldn't be able to see the wood for the trees :-)

It's easily solvable though. What I'd really like to see is a set of
areas defining, for example, country outlines. It's be nice to have
some clue in JOSM as to what bit of map I'd like to zoom into, rather
than a big black square! ;-)