[OSM-dev] proposal to kill areas

Tommy Persson tpe at ida.liu.se
Sun Jul 23 01:10:18 BST 2006

Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> writes:

> Tommy Persson wrote:
>
> > Since I try to do nice map of some area of Linköping I was
> > thinking about adding some parking lots, forrests, golf course,
> > green areas, etc.
>
> Yes, but how do you get the data?  Do you walk the edge of the
> forest with your GPS receiver?  Or do you draw freehand from the
> satellite images? At the parking lot, do you walk its edges, or do
> you walk every lane and slot?  Or do you walk randomly over the
> surface to get a lot of (yellow) dots that mark the area?

Probably a combination of methods.  Or from memory.  Or taking
photografs on roads and from the photographs gues the border for
forrest and other things.  The idea was not to get it perfect but to
get it there and then people can refine it when they notice errors.

And for buildings I suppose you can measure the corners.

> Do you intend to mark both the edge of the forest and any roads (or
> bikepaths) that run through the forest?

Yes.

> doubtful about parks and forests, since they can contain other
> roads, parking lots, and squares.  In this, they are a lot more
> like "counties" and other generic container objects.  There is
> also no end to how large a forest can be.  Such large and generic
> containers could create enormous performance and complexity
> problems.

I do not see areas as containers.  I see them as a seperate
information layer.

--
/Tommy Persson