[OSM-dev] UI Toolkit for the applet

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Thu Mar 2 20:39:25 GMT 2006

Hi,

while thinking about the best way to implement certain GUI features for
the applet, I came to the conclusion that it is unavoidable to add some
dialog based elements.

So I like to check for your opinion and preferences about an UI toolkit to
use. To me, there are 3 options:

- AWT
- Swing
- Thinlet

The first is built-in in practically every environment, but many
(including me) think it is clumsy, ugly (especally on linux) and hard to
do right. Swing is my favourite library (e.g. used in JOSM ;), but it is
memory comsuming. Swing should be included in many java environments,
although there could be problems on the GPL'd Linux Java distributions (as
SableVM or Kaffee). Thinlet is an small graphic UI specialized on web
applications which looks pretty cool, is easy to use but would enlarge the
applet by approximatly 80 kb of code (since it is not delivered with any
of the standard VM's). The memory footprint of thinlet is excellent small.

What do you think should I use to design dialogs?

Ciao, Imi.