[OSM-dev] UI Toolkit for the applet

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Mar 2 22:41:49 GMT 2006

On 3/2/06, Immanuel Scholz <immanuel.scholz at gmx.de> wrote:

> What do you think should I use to design dialogs?

Yeah, Swing or Thinlet would both be acceptable I think.  80k really
isn't very much in the context of the amount of data going backwards
and forwards from the server anyway.

There is another option though, which is controversial but potentially
interesting.  Write HTML/Ajax-y forms to handle input, and use
applet/javascript communication to pass the necessary data.

If we define an interface for the applet which could also be used
without too much trouble for an SVG or Flash version then this could
be quite elegant, and very flexible. Take a look for example at how
Flickr handles tag input for photos.

My preference would be for the applet to do the "work" (all
communication with the API, basically) and for the javascript/html
just to handle form input and possibly validation and error messages.

Obviously this won't please people who don't like javascript, but we
currently require it for the viewer anyway so it's no worse than the
status quo.

My 2 euro cents,

Tom.