[OSM-dev] API 0.3 - Map call - Summary

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Mar 14 13:41:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

> 1. In JOSM, when a Way is selected only a single Way is displayed in the
> "Current Selection" area window, even when there is more than one Way
> covering the same set of nodes and segments. Using a "select objects" box
> (drag a box over the area) will display both the visible and invisible
> Ways.
> This needs addressing as it's very easily to accidentally create a second
> Way when the same segments are still selected.

I will add support for better visualizing two ways which are on top of
each other.

However, I don't see a reason to try to forbid any doubled way creation.
Ways are logical information and I can think of numerous situations where
two ways should be consist of exactly the same line segments. This is a
feature, not a bug! ;-)

> It's not possible to create a duplicate line segment, but it is currently
> possible to create a duplicate Way.

Line segments are physical representations of the world, not logical.
Since there can only be one physical line between two points, I don't see
a reason why someone would want to create two line segments on top of each
other.

But I could allow it, if it is requested ;-). I don't think the server
prevent doubled line segments.

> 3. On reviewing the API GET response for the MAP, I find that the
> timestamp lines remain for deleted Ways. eg:
>
> <way id="39" timestamp="2006-03-14 12:01:35"/>
>   <way id="40" timestamp="2006-03-14 12:01:35"/>

Deleted ways should definetly not appear in the xml document at all. Steve?

Ciao, Imi.