[OSM-dev] API 0.3 - Map call - Summary

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Mar 14 23:03:34 GMT 2006

Hi,

>> Line segments are physical representations of the world, not logical.
>> Since there can only be one physical line between two points, I don't
>> see a reason why someone would want to create two line segments on top of
>> each other.
>
> different "physical lines" like tram trails on the street
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Dscf0177_600.jpg

Hm.. I would still do this by using the same line segment and two ways,
one for the tram line and one for the street. For me, the picture does not
look as the tram and the street has different physical representations...
;-)

A real world example would be an underground line that connecting exact
the same points that are also connected by an tram line.

Oh, and I am sure there can be different opinions about the definition of
what should be an line segment and what should be a way.. ;-)

So as I said, if really someone ("somemany"?) thinks that there should be
two line segments on top of each other allowed, I can enable this in no
time in JOSM.

But then... I think most people don't care anyway... ;)

Nevertheless, I think you all agree now, that two ways on top of each
other will show up in the short future on several places.

Ciao, Imi.