[OSM-dev] API 0.3 - Map call - Summary

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 14 17:50:38 GMT 2006

I was thinking about the tram track issue the other day. Clearly the
physical space is common for both the tram and other highway uses. There is
no "physical" separation between each mode of transport across the
right-of-way. In this case I was thinking perhaps its best to have a single
set of line segments forming the feature and then to apply a "tramway" and a
"highway" pair (or more) of Ways.

This approach makes editing and changes much simpler but does not
necessarily address how you would display the final map. The same problem
occurs for any overlapping Ways. How to display.

Taking another example of our street which has 3 separate names or road
number references (eg Baker Street, A00, E11). If a single Way is formed and
the Way given three names then that’s a bit restrictive when the each of
these references applies to a different length of the total continuous Way.

On the other hand, if we create three separate Ways which encompass all of
the segments needed for each how do we display the eventual map. Which Way
has precedence in the display layer order? In some cases this can be dealt
with at a zoom level function, but I'm not so sure it’s a solution to all
requirements, and a tramline and street sharing the same route is a good
example.

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk