[OSM-dev] rendering: mad ideas

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Mar 21 15:45:32 GMT 2006

Hi

So there's excellent work going on XSLT and SVG wise and the main map
remains horrible and without features below level 11 or whatever it is.

Whetever happens, we're probably not going to be able to sustain on the
fly rendering and mad ideas should be considered.

Over the pond, Schuyler wrote something and put it somewhere on
mappinghacks.com about distributed WMS but I was thinking of something a
bit more limited to kick off.

Hows about a low priority thread in the applet which grabs landsat tiles
and data and renders them, shipping completed static jpegs back to the
server? Thus whilst editing, people are helping. A home version could
easily be made which people could run in the background as a screensaver
or something.

We can call it OpenStreetMap at home

It is almost trivial to write the first incantation which does nothing
more than the the current tiles (just white lines). Slightly more
difficult is the server side of logging what tiles need to be rendered
and shipping them.

Later on it can be expanded to do things like grabbing large tiles and
splitting them up and generalising itself, and as many cartographic
extensions as you like.

Why Java I hear you cry? Well, I couldn't care less what other versions
of it may be written in but the applet having it as a thread is an
attractive idea and Java runs on just about anything. We can make it run
in free VM's without too much hassle, too which nails whatever
performace problems may be perceived. Anyway, java isn't _that_ slow
these days.

Oh and Imi might help if it's in Java.

Sound like fun?

Yeah, yeah people could submit spam tiles but we can figure a way out of
that. Right?

have fun,