[OSM-dev] rendering: mad ideas

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Mar 21 18:14:31 GMT 2006

Hi,

> I say it's a sound idea. I'd be happy to keep my broadband idling with
> work in the background although that might not work for those that have a
> cap on the internet usage.

Yea, because of this I dislike this beeing in the applet. But a
stand-alone "OSM at home" client sounds cool. We could integrate other
features that can be distributed as well. I am thinking of the idea of
having localized caches of the main server for specific areas (Someone
once said something like "I would be happy to spend my connection to host
a cache of sweden, if this makes things faster"?)

Ciao, Imi.

PS: For the applet I like to have as littly functionality as necessary to
do 95% of the required tasks. The applet should be as fast as possible in
doing this.
It is worse enought that the applet requires a 1.9 MB sized, closed source
jar-file (which is even distributed in most JRE's anyway) just to read out
the url to be able to back-click on "View"! :-(. (I am speaking of
plugin.jar)