[OSM-dev] rendering: mad ideas

nick at hogweed.org nick at hogweed.org
Tue Mar 21 19:19:26 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 15:45, SteveC wrote:
> Hi
>
> So there's excellent work going on XSLT and SVG wise and the main map
> remains horrible and without features below level 11 or whatever it is.
>
> Whetever happens, we're probably not going to be able to sustain on the
> fly rendering and mad ideas should be considered.

Sounds interesting but what is perhaps just as important to address is the
concept of OSM as a data provider. How would all this relate to clients of
the OSM data, for example other websites, such as Freemap, that wish to make
use the raw XML data for their own stylised mapping?

If the principal aim of OSM is to be a provider of free mapping data for use
by clients, then this is surely something which needs to be addressed at some
stage; access to the data over the API would need to be acceptably fast. I
have to admit I'm not sure of the answer myself, but I thought it a good idea
to raise the problem in case anyone had any possible solutions.

Maybe one solution would be for client websites to fetch raw OSM data at a
quiet time of day (e.g. for the UK-centric Freemap, 3am GMT), and render and
cache tiles in the client's style in the background? Would be interested to
hear any ideas on this.

Nick