[OSM-dev] rendering: mad ideas

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Mar 24 17:20:58 GMT 2006

Immanuel Scholz wrote:

> As I said, spam or vandalism can be dealt by making spot checks and give
> heavy penalities to thoose who don't cooperate.

Well, I'd personally prefer to stop the problem before it starts, by not
doing this.  First, I don't think any penalty we give can be heavy
enough.  Second, I'm not certain that the load of rendering this stuff
will be so bad.  Third, is the overhead of that (presumably human) spot
check going to take time that could be better spent on development, or
do we rely on regular users noticing and reporting any vandalism that
may occur.  I'd be more comfortable with seeing how it goes and fixing
the bottlenecks that do occur rather than ones that might occur.

Of course, I don't have much say in this; if the admins of OSM already
know that this step will be necessary, I guess there isn't much to be
done about it.  I also think that that vandalism is fairly unlikely.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"