[OSM-dev] Not-so-useless facts about OSM data...

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 15:07:04 BST 2006

On 3/29/06, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> Anything that hits the api for every non-mutating hit a client sees is
> harmful. I foget the exact phrase. Tom?

Yeah, from the del.icio.us API notes, "Please do not cause one hit to
delicious per one hit to your site; this will be considered abuse. Use
caching or similar."

It's just good practice to keep a local cache, then you're not totally
dependent on OSM.  For *viewing*, not for editing, that is.

I remain unconvinced of the usefulness of an *editor* which doesn't
check what is there before submitting changes.  If we used a CVS/SVN
model, you just wouldn't be allowed to submit changes if your local
copy was older than the master.  Why is OSM different?

Tom.