[OSM-dev] a cvs like API (was: Not-so-useless facts about OSM data...)

immanuel.scholz at gmx.de immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Wed Mar 29 15:17:32 BST 2006

Hi,

> I remain unconvinced of the usefulness of an *editor* which doesn't
> check what is there before submitting changes.  If we used a CVS/SVN
> model, you just wouldn't be allowed to submit changes if your local
> copy was older than the master.  Why is OSM different?

I agree. Lets do this.

I suggest the following changes to the API:

- Server tells on every data object the date of last modify. Alternative, he
can just send a timestamp on the overall response which must not be before
the edit time of the latest change (current server time fits ;).

- The client must specify on each upload the timestamp he thinks is the latest
version (obtained by downloading).

- The server reject an upload, if the timestamp sent is before the latest
change timestamp of the object to upload.

Ciao, Imi.