[OSM-dev] Status of the WMS interface?

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Mar 30 00:49:20 BST 2006

* @ 29/03/06 11:37:23 PM jo at frot.org wrote:
> dear all,
>
> i have some questions about the status and future of OSM's Web Map
> Service, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WMS , which i'd like
> to be able to use in a project (fixing up
> http://map.wirelesslondon.info which right now uses a *really old*
> version of the data available through the API, with some streetname
> annotations we added ourselves, back in July before the tagging
> interface was available and stable.
>
> This came up on irc.oftc.net#geo a few weeks ago now, and i got the
> impression then that there was a layer with streets available from the
> WMS service. Looking at the GetCapabilities response, there's a layer
> named 'streets' and another named 'streets2'
> http://tile.openstreetmap.org/cgi-bin/steve/mapserv?map=/usr/lib/cgi-bin/steve/wms.map&service=WMS&WMTVER=1.0.0&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

hrm

streets2 is probably a test layer.

> When i request them, though, i just get back a blank image, i wondered
> if this was a transparency issue, but when i request the landsat
> layer as well (that should produce a composite, right?) i only get the
> landsat layer back, e.g.
>
> http://tile.openstreetmap.org/cgi-bin/steve/mapserv?map=/usr/lib/cgi-bin/steve/wms.map&service=WMS&WMTVER=1.0.0&REQUEST=map&STYLES=&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&LAYERS=streets,landsat&width=700&height=500&bbox=-0.18246371,51.5108931667899,-0.11246371,51.542000833210096
>
> Am i missing something really obvious? :/

you're too zoomed out. The tile engine will show streets below a certain
bounding box size, eg here

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=51.518357834190404&lon=-0.09819086718750002&zoom=11

you're fine (for individual tiles)

but not more zoomed out currently because we need more hardware. It's
annoying, and something we're working on.

> I understand that OSM has many priorities higher than this :)
>
> But i would really appreciate a quick braindump/wikidump on what the plans
> for the WMS service are, how fragile that URL is going to be in the
> future, and how it's possible, if desirable, to offer help.

In reverse order: Send me computers or money (we are getting hardware
donations from elsewhere but no guarentee they're any good). The plan is
to keep the URLS and add better rendering and render at more zoomed out
levels. URL should be fine and stable.

Oh, and the mooted OSgeo landsat server may or may not help (for us that
is, but I see the point in it generally!). It's not really that useful
if it's in the US though. We can host one or more at UCL but need
computers or money :-|

Well, that's not entirely true. Departments at UCL and other unis in
the UK have complete landsat servers and I'm working on letting us use
them, but that's just the landsat layer.

have fun,