[OSM-dev] WMS-C implementation on the way (was: Status of the WMS interface?)

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 13:13:45 BST 2006

>> Connected to this is an attempt to solidify the scheme for a
>> distributed WMS tile cache that's been floating in the geosphere for a
>> year: http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WMS_Tile_Caching
>
> Cool. Without knowing this, I came up with almost the same idea. Currently
> I try to implement almost exactly this but:

Great, it's a good idea and building momentum. The concept is simple, and so will be implementation (I think). There's "just" a few technical issues to work out ;). Join the mailing list, or add to the wiki.

One point on the aim of "WMS-C", is to devise a way to describe any tiling scheme. The source WMS publicizes its preferred tiling scheme, and clients are responsible for making requests conforming to that scheme (there's also the possibility to enforce that with exceptions). Any of the options you mention should be possible to describe -- the projection, minimum & maximum scales and extents, & tile size. There's also discussion of using tile indexes as well.

Mikel