[OSM-dev] Re: New renderer... move to Ruby/rmagick?

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue May 16 09:36:49 BST 2006

* @ 15/05/06 05:23:23 PM Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk wrote:
> Hello Steve,
>
> > use streets.rbx
>
> OK. I guess like Mikel says we need to see if using Ruby for the renderer
> is noticeably slower than PHP.

So, wait a year and all the computers are twice as powerful :-). It
really helps if it's in ruby as all the SQL is there, it's what's used
anyway, and I wont have to maintain seperate codebases.

> BTW where is the place to start looking for the latlon -> zoom code (for
> wms?)

There's no such thing, you'll see the streets.rbx instantiates a
Mercator class, this lives in dao. But it should be seperate. It's a
hack and should really use something like the Mercator java code in the
applet.

have fun,