[OSM-dev] Naming streets without applet

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue May 23 09:42:41 BST 2006

On 23/05/06, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> There should be a good way to name streets without the applet.

There should be world peace, and OMG! Ponies!!!1! for everyone.

> I think the java applet might hinder some people to contribute (most
> windows users),  do you think it would be feasible to use the slippy
> map interface to name streets?

Yes, it would be possible to get the slippy map interface to name
streets.  In an AJAX-y way, you could do mouse-over interaction for
each street, and highlight it using an SVG overlay (or Canvas, or
VML).  Or you could use an image map and round trip to the server to
find out if you clicked on a street (Jo Walsh used this approach on
the London Freemap version of the OSM data last year... not sure if it
was a bespoke solution or not).

How do you envisage laying out the interface so that it is less
confusing than the applet?  Is there a specific problem you think
Windows users will have with the applet, or do you just think Windows
users aren't as capable?(!)

Tom.