[OSM-dev] Naming streets without applet

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue May 23 09:46:09 BST 2006

>I think the java applet might hinder some people to contribute (most
>windows users),  do you think it would be feasible to use the slippy
>map interface to name streets?

It's possible with AJAX though the interface would not be as interactive
as the applet (or osmeditor2, or JOSM, which are alternatives to the
applet of course).

On Freemap (www.free-map.org.uk) I use AJAX to name points of interest.
With streets it would be possible: you'd have to capture the mouse
position, ask the user to input a name, send the info to the server, find
the nearest way and name it.

Alternatively (slightly more interactively): capture the mouse position,
send it to the server, find the nearest way, send the way details back to
the user, present the user with the current way details and allow the user
to edit them, then send the updated details to the server.

I did experiment with the Canvas tag and with SVG a while back, in March,
as applet alternatives. SVG was a bit slow though probably optimisable,
the Canvas tag was actually quite usable (though only works in Firefox,
Safari, Opera).

I believe Richard Fairhurst is working, or thinking of working, on a
Flash-based alternative to the applet. A combination of that and some
basic AJAX functionality on the slippy map a la Freemap would perhaps be
the way forward.

Nick