[OSM-dev] CPAN Geo Package; was:planetosm-to-db.pl

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Wed Nov 8 10:19:50 GMT 2006

> I agree completely... but it's not really what I'm trying to do here.
>
> My proper development machine at home has svn, Perl, Ruby, two
> bazillion king modules, eighty hacked flavours of Ming and lots of
> stuff I don't really understand.

This sounds like a good developer machine :-)

> But here, I'm trying to get some data - nothing else - onto my work
> laptop. Not really "proper development", just getting the data so I
> can play around with it using a quick-and-dirty Perl script, then do
> something like transform it into an .ai/.eps and make maps out of it.
> IMHO you shouldn't need a full suite of proper tools just to get the
> data.

I was already thinking of making this even much easier by providing a mysql
dump for download. This would make things even faster and easier for users to
import.

> >> b) the Geo::OSM stuff  are submitted to CPAN, for ease of installation?
> >
> > I'd love to. There was already a start where people were thinking of
> > building/packaging a complete Geo::* Module. I would be the first one to
> > be happy to commit stuff to this Module as soon as someone tells me where
> > to put it and how the existing interfaces for these modules are. I would
> > even try to rewrite/rearrange/rename/... my modules to fit into a given
> > Geo::scheme. These Modules are only a start to show that we don't have to
> > write the same stuff over and over again.
>
> Ok, I'm happy to help getting it CPAN-ready. Never done that before
> (but hey, there's a chapter on preparing modules for CPAN in the Camel
> Book, isn't there?) but, yes, surely having a Geo::OSM module in CPAN
> could only increase takeup of OSM data.

As you said; I don't think building the actual CPAN-Package should be too
hard. I think the questions are:
 - can we use an existing Package and expand it?
 - How do we name/structure the modules?

any suggestions are welcome.

--
Jörg (Germany, Munich)

http://www.ostertag.name/
TeamSpeak2: ts2.ostertag.name, user: tweety, Channel: "GPS Drive"
irc://irc.oftc.net/#osm
Tel.: +49 89 420950304