[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] OSM maps on Garmin GPS

Robert Hart Robert.Hart at BuroHappold.com
Mon Nov 13 19:08:24 GMT 2006

> The way I can see such an app working is to display a preview of what the
> map would look like on the GPS and allow the user to select (by tag) what
> OSM objects to upload to the device, as well as being able to configure
> the GPS look and feel.  Any other comments/suggestions?

I think this could be really big for OSM and free mapping in general. I know my Dad spent a long time just trying to get SRTM derived contours onto his garmin just so it would display "something" when he goes to France.

> If I get the time I would like to work on such an app, implementation
> language would probably be C++ as the library has a C interface. If
> anyone's interested in working on this (Mikel?) let me know.

I'm over in New York at the moment and very tempted to pick up a Garmin that can display a map (the usual $1 = £1 "exchange" seems to apply to garmins).

If I do get one, then I'll definitely help out.

Rob

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com