[OSM-dev] [OT] Robustness of MySQL

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Tue Nov 14 19:49:12 GMT 2006

Since I put a slippy map on free-map.org.uk I've been having a lot of problems
with MySQL crashing. For example, it crashed today after transferring the
Freemap-NPE stuff over from the dev server.

TBH I'm surprised that - even with a slippy map and a Bytemark VM - MySQL
wouldn't be robust enough to cope with a dataset containing just 60300 nodes,
54074 segments and 6154 ways - representing UK footpaths from the latest
planet.osm. Maybe it's because I've got other data (pre-OSM Freemap) on the
machine too. I sincerely hope that the environment can cope with what can
certainly be considered a pretty small database.

I'll try clearing out other stuff from the database to see if it makes any
difference. Meantime, can any mysql gurus offer any tips?

Thanks,
Nick