[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] OSM maps on Garmin GPS

Andreas Brauchli linux at elementarea.net
Tue Nov 14 16:18:01 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 13:56 +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> >The ultimate I see is a little button next to the slippy map, "Get this
> map on a Garmin",
> >and pushing that button seamlessly loads to your device.

i already do provide a slight part of this by having a PHP5 application
that converts OSM to the .mp format used by cgpsmapper.. but i can't
chain things because the linux binary provided on cgpsmapper.com doesn't
run on Linux/PPC (my station).. so i'm doing it through the online
compiler (which btw. doesn't always get it right)

it would be a lot faster if it could bind directly to a DB instead of
parsing XML (xpath-requests), which is currently one of the main
downsides. the other missing part is the abstraction, since you can't
make all data available on high levels (kills the poor cpu on the
garmin) but there were some posts about an implementation of this some
weeks ago here on -dev.

> That would be good, and indeed perfectly feasible if the library was made
> available for Linux.

if there's interest in building an osm2img compiler (without going
through .mp, which may still make sense as it seems to be close enough
to the binary img-format, depending on the implementation) i might help
out studying the format.
i never did C++, but i'm a little bit familiar with ansi-c - usually i
do perl/php/bash maybe python sometime )

> Nick
andreas