[OSM-dev] Markers for OSM slippy maps

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sat Nov 18 10:15:30 GMT 2006

Over the last couple of nights I've been working on Freemap so that it offers
the user a choice of either the new Mapnik maps or the New Popular Edition
maps. As part of this process I've added the facility for Freemap users to
add markers to the map. There will be an announcement on this on the talk
list soon.

A lot of the marker code is generic and could be re-used in any OSM-based
"mashup" (one I'm thinking of creating, for example, is a facility to allow
people to leave notes after surveying on top of the slippy map, e.g 'lots of
undone cul-de-sacs here', which other people can then pick up). Thus one of
the main development tasks to be done now seems to be to develop a high level
and easy to use markers API for OSM.

The code is rather messy at the moment - since there is limited documentation
on the OpenLayers API, I've just tried to do the best I can with it. However
if this fits in with the plans of where OSM is going, I can try to wrap up
the code so it's easier for developers to use. This may mean working with the
openlayers people.

One other thing I've done is abstracted away the projection code, so that, for
example, with one line of code difference, the markers layer will work with
the Google projection used in the new slippy map, and the OSGB projection.

Any thoughts? Would Mapstraction come into this maybe?

Nick