[OSM-dev] Markers for OSM slippy maps

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Nov 18 20:04:11 GMT 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 07:36:55PM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> On Saturday 18 Nov 2006 13:21, you wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 10:15:30AM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> > > The code is rather messy at the moment - since there is limited
> > > documentation on the OpenLayers API, I've just tried to do the best I can
> > > with it. However if this fits in with the plans of where OSM is going, I
> > > can try to wrap up the code so it's easier for developers to use. This
> > > may mean working with the openlayers people.
> >
> > Complaints about where the documentation is lacking are useful. I wrote
> > the entire set of documentation[1] myself, but it's not the most useful
> > thing in the world: any time you try to do something, and find yourself
> > not understanding how to do it, I would love to see feedback to the
> > OpenLayers users list, or a bug filed, either of which will get my
> > attention.
> >
> > If you've made changes to OpenLayers to make things easier to use, we'd
> > love to participate in the development you're doing. One of the easiest
> > ways to improve visibility into improvements you're making with the
> > OpenLayers code base is to do your development in a sandbox in the
> > OpenLayers subversion repository: Information on doing so is available
> > in the FAQ[2].
> >
> > The tone of your email makes it seem as if the OpenLayers development
> > process has been offputting to you in the past. I'm sorry if that has
> > been the case. We've been putting a lot of effort into making it as easy
> > as possible for OpenLayers development to be as open as possible: adding
> > external developers with full SVN credentials, clarifying the processes
> > that OpenLayers uses, and so on. If I have personally put you off from
> > OpenLayers development, I'd like the humbly apologize and ask you to
> > take a look at the project again, since I think we've improved leaps and
> > bounds in terms of being open to external development within the past
> > couple weeks.
>
> Not at all, I fully appreciate that there is limited time to write
> documentation as well as everything else. My own code is not commented as
> much as it should be :-)

Okay. Just wanted to make sure we hadn't accidentally pushed you away :)
Because of the prior constraints on granting commit access to external
developers, I just wanted to make sure we reconnected with anyone who
might not have had the full oppourtunity to contribute.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta