[OSM-dev] Data format for OSM annotation layers

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Sat Nov 25 13:10:51 GMT 2006

Hi Nick,

> Those of you following the Freemap project will know that it includes an
> annotation markers layer. It would seem to be a good idea to try and develop
> an annotations data format which could be used by OSM mashups in general, and
> develop an OpenLayers layer for it so that OSM mashups could easily use it.
> Maybe we could just use KML? (I take it that wouldn't violate any Google
> copyright issues?)

GeoRSS would be perfect for this, wouldn't it? Then you could allow
people to subscribe to updates in their area, and it'd be very
portable and could be used on many different systems. I'd say KML
would be a good addition to a GeoRSS feed, especially as Google
Earth/Maps seem to be resisting GeoRSS so far.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Karran