[OSM-dev] Data format for OSM annotation layers

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sat Nov 25 13:45:10 GMT 2006

Hello Dan,

>> Those of you following the Freemap project will know that it includes
an
>> annotation markers layer. It would seem to be a good idea to try and
develop
>> an annotations data format which could be used by OSM mashups in
general, and
>> develop an OpenLayers layer for it so that OSM mashups could easily use
it.
>> Maybe we could just use KML? (I take it that wouldn't violate any
Google
>> copyright issues?)

>GeoRSS would be perfect for this, wouldn't it? Then you could allow
>people to subscribe to updates in their area, and it'd be very
>portable and could be used on many different systems. I'd say KML
>would be a good addition to a GeoRSS feed, especially as Google
>Earth/Maps seem to be resisting GeoRSS so far.

My understanding of GeoRSS is that it is basically a geo-coded RSS format,
i.e. it's good for (as you say) alerting people of updates on a map.
However it doesn't really seem to be designed for bounding-box retrieval.
The sort of app I had in mind involves the user panning an OSM slippy map
and markers appearing as you move into new areas. Such an app would
require a server which takes a bounding box and returns data of some sort
representing the markers within.

There's no reason why GeoRSS cannot be used as the data format, I guess,
other than (from my understanding) it wasn't designed for this type of
scenario.

Nick