[OSM-dev] tiles tiles tiles

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Wed Nov 29 21:23:44 GMT 2006

Using a bugfixed version of almiens tilecount.pl (which figures out what
tiles actually have map data on them), I've written a script to render
them (from zoom 0-18).

There are 1828075 such tiles to do, and at 25k per tile (most are less
than this it seems) equates to 40 odd Gb of data. We currently have
973994 tiles live, or about half that number. So it's an easily
acheivable target.

As well as those tiles, I envisage the whole world would be also
rendered down to zoom 7 or so.

The number rendered per-week after that would be far smaller as only
those tiles affected by changes would need to be rendered. The number
will also see a massive drop because all of the US TIGER data has been
dropped.

The new tile boxes are live but I'll wait for the next UTF-8 compliant
(yay!) planet.osm which won't have TIGER in it and any updates to
osm.xml (nick, is that done yet?) before firing it all off.

This will be very fast as it's just shipping out static files. A 404
handler could be written for missing tiles which returned a blank sea or
land tile based on location and a quick look in the vmap shape files.

have fun,