[OSM-dev] tiles tiles tiles

Jon Burgess jburgess at uklinux.net
Wed Nov 29 22:30:18 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 21:23 +0000, SteveC wrote:
> Using a bugfixed version of almiens tilecount.pl (which figures out what
> tiles actually have map data on them), I've written a script to render
> them (from zoom 0-18).

I believe there are a couple of edge cases which we may need to
consider.

1) Way segements which cross a tile even though the nodes are no nodes
inside, e.g.

   ------
  |      |
+-----------+
  |      |
   ------

2) Text labels and icons which extend beyond the edge of the tile containing the node

|   *City-Name  |

Perhaps we need to ensure the 8 surrounding tiles of and on the list is also rendered.
In many cases these tiles will already have nodes so the overall increase in the number
of tiles to be rendered may not be as big as first appears.

	Jon