[OSM-dev] Interpreting segments of a way

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Mon Oct 23 16:06:51 BST 2006

Hi, there is some conflicting/incomplete(?) information on how to
interpret the segment list of a way on the wiki.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Data_Primitives
Just says segments for a way nothing more.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/REST#Ways
says that the list is "ordered".

What is it and in the latter case : how should we interpret the
ordering? Should ways consist of consecutive segments where each
segment-endpoint is also the beginpoint of the next segment?
Can three-pronged ways exist? If so, what about the order?

Thanks for any clarification. If I get a good idea I will update the
WIKI accordingly.

cu bart