[OSM-dev] List of systems (was: 3000 green users sitting on a wall...)

OJW streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Fri Sep 1 20:56:30 BST 2006

I was wondering if the diagram could link to a database of systems (looking at
individual files seems rather detailed for this level of outline)

e.g. the JOSM block could link to something that says:

---------------sample page on a web-application---------------
"JOSM" is a... (description of the program, what it does, how we use it)
 - Written in: Java
 - Depends on: Sun JRE 1.5
 - Runs in: Windows, Mac, Linux
 - Main contact: (imi's details)

 - Help currently needed: (place calls for help here)

 - TODO list of new features in order of likely implementation date with
big/important things highlighted in various colours

Then maybe another way of viewing the data would be a "how can I help" page
that lists all the "help currently needed" entries in order of urgency and
importance:
* "OsmEditor2 needs C++/Qt programmers to implement feature x
* Planet.osm to text needs Perl programmers to optimise memory usage in
node-to-segment correlation"

GraphViz can generate HTML imagemaps, so it's relatively easy to turn that
diagram into the index page of a "what's going on here?" website.

As Andy says, the idea could be used for loads of other things, e.g. at a
"within a project" level, for helping newcomers find sourcecode files, seeing
how the data moves around inside.

Not that I'm volunteering to build a huge complex website - I think it would
be easier for someone who can use ruby on rails  ;-)

Regards

OJW