[OSM-dev] Lite OSM backend

Nigel Magnay nigel.magnay at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 21:30:00 BST 2006

The binary distribution though is *huge* - planet.osm unpacks to about 3Gb
of text, which is around 6Gb by the time it gets into database page tables.
Osm2Go can create a db directly from planet.osm.bz2 in about 2-3hrs, which I
thought was better than trying to distribute a zipped database (~1Gb for
derby) along with it...

Might be nice to have dumps of (say) uk.planet.osm, europe.planet.osm, etc
to cut some of that down.