[OSM-dev] Lite OSM backend

Nicola Ranaldo ranaldo at unina.it
Wed Sep 6 21:56:51 BST 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 22:30, Nigel Magnay wrote:
> The binary distribution though is *huge* - planet.osm unpacks to about 3Gb
> of text, which is around 6Gb by the time it gets into database page tables.
> Osm2Go can create a db directly from planet.osm.bz2 in about 2-3hrs, which
> I thought was better than trying to distribute a zipped database (~1Gb for
> derby) along with it...
>
> Might be nice to have dumps of (say) uk.planet.osm, europe.planet.osm, etc
> to cut some of that down.

I think general pourpose users needs a plug an play data set, they have just
to download somefile.xxx and use it in their browsing/routeplanning
application. Splitting data access in server, client and network localhost
overhead will only slow the entire process. This is good for development,
testing and server solutions but not for a simple client.
About archive size, i can see a lot of commercial tools with a dvd containing
a good and detailed set of all european maps very far from actual osm
coverage. If this result is achieved by a custom data backend better than
free available solutions we should think to start a project to achieve
similiar results.

	Niko