[OSM-dev] Select and move - mode

Jon Burgess jburgess at uklinux.net
Sat Sep 9 00:57:34 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 00:40 +0200, Thomas Walraet wrote:
> Immanuel Scholz a écrit :
> >
> > It was especally because the move tool, so selections don't get
> > "forgotten" that easily. Many different people complained about moving
> > around selections that they created some time ago but did not remember, so
> > making the last added thing the selection (like it is already done for
> > ways) keeps your selection "more recent".
>
> Ok. For this purpose I think it's better to remove selection when a node
> or a segment is added.

I disagree (I wrote the patch). I don't see any situation where not
selecting the newly created item is a benefit to the user. I frequently
fell into the problem of adding a new item then mistakenly changing the
properties on the previous thing that was selected. This problem is
quite hard to spot when your busy adding lots of items.

I find this new behaviour very useful in when I add nodes and then want
to add attributes to the node I just added. To add a new node and then
an attribute to that node with the old behaviour required 6 mouse
clicks:-
1) Select "Add node"
2) Click on map to add node
3) Select "Select" tool
4) Select previously added node on map
5) Use properties box to add attribute

With the new system you can achieve this in only 3 mouse clicks. Adding
subsequent nodes only takes a further 2 clicks (instead of 6 again).
1) Select "Add node" (do this once)
2) Click on map to add node
3) Use properties box to add attribute
4) Go to (2) to add a next node.

I admit that adding POI nodes is not something which occurs as often as
plain nodes & segments, but I still think we should still try to reduce
the number of mouse clicks wherever possible.

	Jon