[OSM-dev] Proposal: Database accelerator and dirty tile marker based on simple algorithm.

David Sheldon dave at earth.li
Mon Sep 18 18:52:57 BST 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 07:14:00PM +0200, Lars Aronsson wrote:
> What part of GRASS is not applicable to OSM?  Their way of doing
> quad trees is not useful for us?  So we have to write our own?
> Their way of doing quad trees is only useful for proprietary data,
> and to create free geodata OSM has to reinvent all the algorithms?

Their website looks like GRASS is a GUI application. Are you suggesting
that we cut and paste from their source, or is there a library hidden
somewhere? Does it talk to mysql and store history and meta data of all
the points? What language is it in? Their website is dire.

What happened to Chris Schmitt(was that it?)'s renderer using
shapefiles? That looked a lot faster than what we have now.

Lars - remember, for some people the challenges of working with this
sort of data is more interesting than creating psudo-free mapping data
that can't be used for anything useful because of the hippy licence it
is under*.

David

* Remove the second half of this sentance to preserve sanity.
--
              Henry Jones: I didn't know you could fly.
                     Indy: Fly, yes. Land, no.