[OSM-dev] Essen / data model paper

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 19:13:21 BST 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Sent: 11 April 2007 2:12 PM
>To: OSM-Dev Openstreetmap
>Subject: [OSM-dev] Essen / data model paper
>
>Hi,
>
>    Jochen and I have prepared a paper containing some ideas for a
>new OSM data model. The paper is still very fuzzy on details and will
>need a lot of work, but we're hoping to discuss some of the technical
>aspects at the Essen workshop and determine whether the ideas are
>sound and worth pursuing, or whether it is just a waste of time.
>
>Those of you coming to Essen and interested in the topic: it'd be
>great if you get to read it before we meet.
>
>Those of you not coming to Essen but still interested: We are happy
>about any comments and feedback. Feel free to read the paper and send
>feedback (preferably off-list, we'll summarize), but you can also
>wait for the results of the Essen workshop - if we don't collectively
>kill off the idea there, there will be more mature documents to read
>in the weeks after.
>
>The paper is available as a PDF file:
>http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/towards-a-new-data-model-for-osm.pdf
>
>and as an OpenOffice.org document:
>http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/towards-a-new-data-model-for-osm.odt
>
>Bye
>Frederik

Guys, looks like you have already put a lot of effort in here so I’ll enjoy
the read. I’m specifically interested in how we tie the tagging system into
the data structure better and have plenty I can contribute on tagging schema
which looks very carefully at keeping it simple and extensible. I really
would not feel comfortable about going down the GML way simply because it
overcomplicates what we need.

Having said all that, the time is right to consider whether the current data
structure is right for the medium term.

Cheers

Andy