[OSM-dev] Essen / data model paper

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 19:18:27 BST 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Sent: 11 April 2007 7:10 PM
>To: SteveC
>Cc: OSM-Dev Openstreetmap
>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] Essen / data model paper
>
>Hi Steve,
>
>> A few things in there have nothing to do with the data model though
>> and/or are fixed in 0.4 like history data and no areas (areas were there
>> for ages, nobody used them).
>
>We're eager to hear details at the weekend! Indeed our document has been
>lying around for a while before 0.4 and we didn't work 0.4 changes into
>it. I had read something about areas somewhere in the Wiki but always
>assumed they must've been removed at some time as they weren't used ;-)

Areas were in Steve's original concept but when ways were enabled in the
editing interface 80n found a workaround to render them as areas and hence
their need in the db simply went away. So, till now there has not been a
necessity to use an area database field when the same can be achieved with a
way.

Cheers

Andy