[OSM-dev] Reducing size on mediawiki server

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 11:48:41 BST 2007

I converted the tables on wiki to MyIsam at 1am this morning and disabled InnoDB
on the wiki server.

The application memory footprint has dropped from an average of around 130Mb to
around 40Mb. More importantly, it no longer rises over time. I am hopeful the
wiki virtual server will be much more reliable, so long as we suppress the urge
to load more services onto it.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/munin/openstreetmap/wiki.openstreetmap-memory.html

I have also added a basic captcha system (a reverse turing test) to stop
vandalbots creating accounts on wiki. This test is very simple, and not
particularly difficult for a machine to complete. If that gets broken, i'll add
an image based captcha, and/or we could require verification by email before
allowing edits.