[OSM-dev] Reducing size on mediawiki server

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 13:06:32 BST 2007

Hello Jochen

$wgDBtransactions is unset, and defaults to false.

According to various lists, mediawiki does work fine with MyIsam.
eg: http://www.mwusers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3472

On searching I haven't seen any evidence of show-stoppers through the type of
inconsistency through transactions not completing with mediawiki. An issue I
have spotted several times is loss of mediawiki through not being able to
recover corrupt InnoDB database. I understand that except in very very rare
situations, myisamchk will recover corrupt MyIsam tables.

I suppose this is an issue of complex vs simple. InnoDB is complex. MyIsam is
much simpler. More like a flat file plus index.

InnoDB has built in machinery to deal with most errors in it's more complex data
structure, but if it goes wrong, it can be almost impossible to recover. From
the external connection point of view, InnoDB transactions will never be
inconsistent, but the database file itself can be irretrievably inconsistent.