[OSM-dev] Alternative tile webserver needed?

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 12:06:53 BST 2007

Hello Sebastien

The tiles drive is 160Gb and is currently running at 80% space usage and rising.

To perform an Rsync on the millions of tile files will take perhaps hours of
disk I/O each time it is run. I/O time is exactly what is unavailable with the
current settings.

The problem is simply that the tile generation process is taking every available
second of disk I/O. Backing off the generator process will provide enough I/O
time for the tiles to be read and more-or-less solve the problem.

If a more efficient tile generation scheduling algorithm were possible, we could
save much I/O time by generating fewer tiles and get more useful work done per
unit time.