[OSM-dev] UK Dev Day

Sat Apr 28 12:54:49 BST 2007

Nick Black wrote:

> On 4/27/07, Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:
>> I don't think Potlatch is a priority as such - if Rails launches
>> without Potlatch, we are still moving forwards overall. Potlatch
>> can be added later.
>
> It can, but the applet will need an unknown amount of work to make
> it ready for 0.4 - whilst this could be trivial, it seems like
> wasted effort to do this and then sort out Potlatch.

Potlatch is now pretty much working from the Rails port, but with the
Potlatch API still running as an independent CGI:
    http://www.systemeD.net/stuff/potlatch_rails.jpg

It should be about 15 minutes' work to tidy the loose ends on it.
This could theoretically then go live as is.

To integrate it fully into Rails, so that the db responder stuff sits
prettily with everything else, shouldn't be tricky - especially given
that a Rails implementation of AMF already exists (WebORB) which we
can learn from. I'm happy to do the work, as long as there's a Rails
guru to hand to whom I can direct a stream of WTF OMG FFS LOL etc.
The dev day seems like a good opportunity for this.

Of course, as with any open source project, the developers will work
on what the developers want to work on. ;)

cheers
Richard