[OSM-dev] Alternative tile webserver needed?

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Sun Apr 29 04:24:36 BST 2007

On 28/04/07, Hakan Tandogan <hakan at gurkensalat.com> wrote:

> SteveC wrote:
> > IMHO the $CACHE site should be default. If I really want the latest
> > tiles uploaded 3 seconds ago I can switch to that layer. Once these
> > things are stable and filled with tiles I'll add them to osm.
> >
> > On 27 Apr 2007, at 15:24, 80n wrote:
> >
> >> I've added two new layers at www.informationfreeway.org:
> >>
> >> Firefishy squid proxy
> >> Sebastian apache proxy
> >>

> As far as I can see from my browser logs, OpenLayers tries to download
> the tiles it needs from *all* base layers.
>
> I'll go check on the openlayers mailing lists whether this is the
> intended behaviour and what we can to to "fix" it.

I've just looked into this a bit... This is what I found...

My test was to use informationfreeway at zoom level 12 on the t at h layer, to
make a permalink, capture traffic and refresh that page in Firefox...

Capture time: 30s (some requests still waiting, most completed)
* HTTP Requests: 374
  * www.informationfreeway.org: 12
  * dev.openstreetmap.org: 168 (tile + cycle + maplint)
  * tile.openstreetmap.org: 74
  * osm.sspaeth.de: 63
  * osm-tah-cache.firefishy.com: 57
Max concurrent requests: 36
Max concurrent requests per server: 24

So, it's definitely hitting all the layers... but... the concurrency was
scary, especially considering the changes make to limit the number of
concurrent connections on dev...

Looking at this, it seems the default settings for firefox 2 are the
following
network.http.max-connections 48
network.http.max-connections-per-server 24
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server 8

The following pages explain these settings are suggest different defaults to
what is in firefox...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.max-connections - default: 24
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.max-connections-per-server - default:
8