[OSM-dev] Suggestion to replace created_by tags

Sun Apr 29 22:42:17 BST 2007

Schuyler Erle wrote:

> If OSM clients generate their own UUID for each transaction (for
> whatever definition of 'transaction' the client uses), setting a
> "change_group_id" or "transaction_id" tag to a 32 character
> hexadecimal string, then they wouldn't even have to contact the server
> first...

No, I really don't like using tags for database internals - tags
should identify real-world characteristics. One of the reasons for
proposing the client id column was to stop created_by polluting the
tagspace. (We already have enough confusion with people manually
setting "created_by=Fred".)

cheers
Richard