[OSM-dev] Name finder for the main OSM page?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Aug 8 01:00:38 BST 2007

In message <a4c775140708071446o4ac7cb86lf4caee47b7e923f2 at mail.gmail.com>
          "Dave Stubbs" <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk> wrote:

> This is absolutely great! Fantastic! ... I need a thesaurus and fast.
>
> Just a couple of points that might make it even better:
>
>  - when the name finder returns things like "Street...", "Villiage..",
> it might be nice to iconise that. It would make it immediately more
> obvious the variety of result returned, and behave as a bit of a
> bullet point too.
>
>  - from a style perspective, it might be nice to have the "about 2km
> West of X" appear in a smaller less bright colour

I've made it so that only the actual name is the link now, which
helps to make that stand out from the type prefix and the proximity
suffix stuff.

We can probably do more - if somebody want to do some nice icons
then feel free ;-) At least the geocoder splits the content up now
anyway so they can easily be styled differently.

>  - it doesn't recognise text as a UK postcode unless you put the space
> in... ie: "sw152da" returns no results, but "sw15 2da" returns the
> single result "SW15 2DA"... it would be nice if it did that for the
> first one.

Fixed. BTW if anybody has the format for postcodes other than UK, US
and Canada then I can add them in - if there is no better source then
we can always use geocoder.org's postcode search which is what the old
postcode box fell back to if it couldn't recognise the format.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/