[OSM-dev] Name finder for the main OSM page?

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 22:46:55 BST 2007

On 07/08/07, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> In message <46B31542.2070906 at frankieandshadow.com>
>           David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>
> > 2. The box on the osm homepage could call the XML interface to the name
> > finder, extract the results (which includes the descriptive strings you
> > get back now on the name finder page) and go to the lat/lon provided.
>
> This is now in place - in fact the search has been completely reworked
> with extra added ajaxiness and the name finder is now one of the sources
> it looks at it.

This is absolutely great! Fantastic! ... I need a thesaurus and fast.

Just a couple of points that might make it even better:

 - when the name finder returns things like "Street...", "Villiage..",
it might be nice to iconise that. It would make it immediately more
obvious the variety of result returned, and behave as a bit of a
bullet point too.

 - from a style perspective, it might be nice to have the "about 2km
West of X" appear in a smaller less bright colour

 - it doesn't recognise text as a UK postcode unless you put the space
in... ie: "sw152da" returns no results, but "sw15 2da" returns the
single result "SW15 2DA"... it would be nice if it did that for the
first one.

But absolutely great - really makes the search worthwhile.

Dave