[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Highway tagging in general around the world

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Aug 15 15:05:31 BST 2007

In message <200708152352070551.0321D086 at smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au>
        Brent Easton <b.easton at exemail.com.au> wrote:

> On 15/08/2007 at 2:10 PM Tom Hughes  wrote:
>
> > Look at any A or B road in the UK and you will see the number
> > rendered alongside the road at the end of each way - it isn't
> > in a shield, but that's because UK maps aren't normally rendered
> > with road number in shields. For example:
> >

> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.76529491622359&lon=-0.016075984770263948&zoom=16&layers=0BT
> >
> > Has the A10, A1170, B180 (though it isn't really anymore) and B1179.
>
> Ok. I thought that was because Osmarender just blasts out anything
> in the ref= tag connected to any road as text?

Well yes - that's the point. At least it tries to output road numbers
in the map. The mapnik layer doesn't try at all except for motorways
at the moment.

The next step beyond getting them output in some way is to get them
output as shields for those countries where that is the norm.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/