[OSM-dev] Osmarender : curved road endings

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Sun Aug 19 10:39:29 BST 2007

Hi Tom,

Tom Hughes wrote:

> How would I identify a "sudden end" on the ground? How does it look
> different to other ends? A road that stops at a brick wall? a cliff
> edge?

Either of those two, though I guess the cliff edge is unlikely :-)

I know of a couple of places where a road has been built, a further
section of the road is planned but no building work is currently in
progress.  In these places, the road builders have continued the road
for 5 or 10m after the last turn-off, but then just stopped the
tarmaccing - I guess that would qualify.

Then, take a look at "Unterer Nackenweg" at

http://geo.topf.org/comparison/index.html?mt0=googlemap&mt1=tah&lon=7.4287105&lat=51.4041252&z=17

Google's version doesn't extend as far, but Google's version is wrong.
Unterer Nackenweg ends with concrete pillars which are supporting the
ground on which Nackenhof is built - Nackenhof is 3m higher than Unterer
Nackenweg.  So the two streets are, when viewed from above, directly
next to each other, but they don't touch.  This seems like a place where
the butt is better.  Granted, you could view this as a rendering issue.

(Pleasing side note: lots of the places where the Google version differs
in that comparison, it's Google's data that's wrong)

> Personally I like rounded ends and would just make the renderers
> render all roads like that...

I'd also be fine with this, but I can see an argument for the other side.

--
Jon